Two priests will be available for Confessions today, Thursday, December 22, from 11am until Noon.
Schedule of Confessions During the Fourth Week of Advent
- Monday, December 19 - 11am to Noon (two priests)
- Tuesday December 20 - 12:10pm (more than 15 priests, in English, Spanish & other languages as part of our Advent Communal Penance Service, Come Home for Christmas) (no 11am confessions today) & 6 to7pm (during Evening Eucharistic Adoration, in English and Spanish)
- Wednesday, December 21 - 11am to Noon (two priests)
- Thursday, December 22 - 11am to Noon (two priests)
- Friday, December 23 - 11am to Noon (two priests)
How Do I Prepare to Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation?
For a step-by-step guide, click here.
What is the Sacrament Called?
We refer here to Reconciliation and to Penance, but the sacrament has many names. Understanding the various names helps in our understanding of the tremendous benefits that this sacrament brings to those who open their hearts to receive it.
It is called the Sacrament of Conversion because it makes sacramentally present Jesus' call to conversion, the firt step in returning to the Father from whom one has strayed by sin. It is called the Sacrament of Penance, since it consecrates the Christian sinner's personal and ecclesial steps of conversion, penance, and satisfaction. It is called the Sacrament of Confession since the disclosure or confession of sins is an essential element of this Sacrament. In a profound sense, it is also a "confession"—acknowledgment and praise—of the holiness of God and of his mercy toward sinful man. It is called the Sacrament of Forgiveness, since by the priest's sacramental absolution, God grants the penitent "pardon and peace." It is called the Sacrament of Reconciliation because it imparts to the sinner the love of God who reconciles: "Be reconciled to God" (2 Cor 5:20). He who lives by God's merciful love is ready to respond to the Lord's call: "Go, first be reconciled to your brother." (Catechism of the Catholic Church,1423-24, citing Mt 5:24)