Apostolic Visit Schedule
The Vatican announced the confirmed schedule for Pope Francis’ apostolic visit to the United States this September, which includes stops in Washington, D.C., New York, and Philadelphia. Details of the Holy Father’s visit to Washington, D.C. are listed on the website of the Archdiocese of Washington at http://www.adw.org/papalvisit/, from which the following is excerpted.
Tuesday, September 22, 2015:
- Pope Francis will begin his pastoral visit to the United States with his arrival at Andrews Air Force Base in the afternoon.
Wednesday, September 23, 2015:
- Welcoming ceremony at the White House followed by a private meeting with President Obama.
- Mid-day prayer with the bishops of the United States at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle.
- Mass in the afternoon on the east portico of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and the University Mall at The Catholic University of America. During the Mass, the pope will canonize Blessed Junipero Serra.
Thursday, September 24, 2015:
- Address joint meeting of the U.S. Congress in the morning.
- Visit St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in D.C. and meet with several clients of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington in late morning.
- Blessing and brief remarks to the clients gathered at lunchtime for the St. Maria Meals Program of the Catholic Charities for the Archdiocese of Washington.
- Depart for New York City from Andrews Air Force Base.
Visit http://www.adw.org/papalvisit/ regularly, as it will be updated as additional details are announced.
Cathedral Schedule Notes
Tuesday, September 22 - The Cathedral will close after the 12:10pm Mass in preparation for a Mid-Prayer Service with Pope Francis and the U. S. bishops to be held in the Cathedral on September 23.
Wednesday, September 23 - The Cathedral will be closed to public all day for a Mid-Prayer Service with Pope Francis and the U. S. bishops. No Masses or Confessions are scheduled.