The Cathedral young adult ministry serves the community of Catholic adults in their 20s and 30s who live and work in DC, supporting them in the continued growth of their faith, discernment of their vocations, and development as stewards of the Church through opportunities for socializing, community service and spiritual reflection.
Join the Cathedral Young Adults Google group to get your email address on our listserv — click here!
Please note that you must sign into your Google account
in order to join the group. Be sure to select 'receive all email' as your delivery preference, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added.
Dated as of December 10, 2014
The St. Matthew's Cathedral Young Adults put on many fun and faith-filled events throughout the year. Look for several new events and opportunities to come in 2015!
– Social Events –
C†YA for Supper
Thursday, December 11 - 7 PM – Dupont Italian Kitchen (1637 17th St NW)
Due to the busyness of the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, we will be combining our November and December supper clubs. Join us for food and fellowship at Dupont Italian Kitchen! Please RSVP here (http://goo.gl/5fdBQk) by Monday, December 8. Contact Mark (email@example.com) with any questions or for more info.
C†YA for Hospitality
Sunday, December 7 – 6:30 PM (immediately following the 5:30 Mass) – North Conference Room
Join parishioners for food and fellowship after Mass! It’s a great way to meet young adults at the Cathedral and learn more about the Cathedral Young Adult ministry. There will be hospitality after each Mass, so please stop by whenever you happen to attend Mass that weekend. The Cathedral Young Adults will be hosting a Christmas party after the 5:30 PM Mass featuring holiday treats, gift wrapping for the adopt-a-family program, and Christmas-card making for nursing home residents. We will also be accepting cash donations to support the adopt-a-family program.
Contact Natalie (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
Save the Date! C†YA for a Pancake Brunch
Sunday, February 15th More information to come!
– Spiritual Events –
If you’ve ever attended Breaking Open the Word or are interested in attending a Bible study or discussion group with other Young Adults at the Cathedral. Please help us shape the future of this long-running event by taking a quick 5 question survey(http://goo.gl/EsIFAH). Email email@example.com with any questions; thank you for your participation!
Wine and Wisdom
Monthly on the third Monday (next: December 15) – 7 to 8:30 PM – Cathedral East Conference Room
Wine and Wisdom is a discussion and faith-sharing group for young adult women. The conversation provided will help to form, encourage, strengthen, and prepare those who attend to be the women that God has designed them to be. We'll be discussing stress and worry this month -- an appropriate topic for this time of year!
Contact Tiffany (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or to RSVP.
Spring Retreat - Spring 2015
Date - TBD; More information to come!
C†YA at Mass
Weekly on Sundays – 5:30 PM – Cathedral (meet in section near front by the choir)
Don’t sit alone at Mass! Instead, celebrate with other young adult parishioners. Please join us in our section in the first few rows on the right of the nave, in front of the pulpit near the choir – look for the “reserved” signs on the pews. Then stick around to meet everyone after Mass!
Contact email@example.com for more information.
– Service Events –
- · Homeless Ministry: Volunteers are needed to prepare bagged lunches for the poor and homeless who come to the St. Matt’s West Conference Room each Monday morning for food and social services. Contact Olivia or Norma if you would like to provide lunches once a month, every other month, or as a one-time service.
- · Serve as a Liturgical Minister at the Cathedral: The Cathedral is in need of liturgical ministers at all Masses, including weekday Masses. Ministers of hospitality (greeters), ushers, extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion, and servers are especially needed. The suggested commitment is one Sunday per month. Contact Deacon Garcia (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information on expectations and training.
Other Individual Volunteer Opportunities in DC
- · You can find additional volunteer opportunities through Catholic Charities using their volunteer portal.
- · The Northwest Center seeking Spanish-speaking (both fluent and proficient) volunteers for the pregnancy center’s Step Up program. Pro-life volunteers sought to undergo counseling training with the agency and provide assistance to Spanish-speaking pregnant and parenting women and families through referrals to community resources as well as material assistance. We are looking for volunteers who can commit to weekly or bi-weekly service, Monday - Friday between 9am-5pm.If interested, please contact Jenny Ginsberg (email@example.com) or call 202-483-7008
- · Feeling called to service leadership? Catholic Charities is recruiting a group of energetic reliable volunteers to serve on the Hope Corps Volunteer Committee. Members of this committee would serve as liaisons between Catholic Charities staff, volunteers, and populations served by their events. Members of the Committee must commit to leading 9 service days per year. Contact Carolyn (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Upcoming Cathedral Events
A Festival of Lessons and Carols
Sunday, December 14 – 7:30 PM – Cathedral
Info Sessions on 'Just Faith'
**New Cathedral Initiative: Weekly Small Group Meetings hosted by Social Justice Ministry at St. Matthew's Cathedral
Just Faith focuses on the Gospel's call to compassion, justice, and peace in a world scarred by the domestic and global crisis of poverty. Meeting weekly, small groups of parishioners will explore the challenges of following Jesus through readings, prayer, and community engagement.
Email Franz and Tyler at email@example.com for more information.
Monthly Rosary for Life & Procession to Planned Parenthood
Saturday, December 27– 8:30 AM to 9:00AM – Cathedral / Planned Parenthood (1108 16th Street NW)
Cathedral Young Adults Mission
The mission of the Cathedral young adult ministry is to support the community of Catholic adults in their 20’s and 30’s who live and work in DC in the continued growth of their faith, discernment of their vocations, and development as stewards of the Church through opportunities for socializing, community service and spiritual reflection.