Little is known of music in the early years of the parish, although records do indicate some essence of music and choir during the late 1800s and early 1900s. The first mention of an organ was a contract signed in 1910 by the pastor, Msgr. Lee, for the construction of an organ. A newer organ was built in 1951 that lasted until the current one was installed in the east transept of the Cathedral. The construction of the new organ, known as the Lively-Fulcher organ, was begun in the mid-1990s and is not yet completed, pending further donations to provide the full complement of pipes.
In 1910, Msgr. Lee appointed the first choirmaster, Malton Boyce. Mr. Boyce then formed the essence of the choir that has come down to the organization we know today as the “Schola Cantorum.”