Single Servings of Service allows parishioners to volunteer in a meaningful way without making a long-term commitment. This service program allows St. Matthew’s to reach out in service to a wider community, since recipients of single servings of service are a variety of nonprofit service agencies that serve different populations within the Washington, D.C. area. If you are interested in participating, please send an email to email@example.com.
Details about each event are announced in the parish bulletin, on the parish website calendar and on the parish Facebook page as the event date approaches. The Social Justice's newsletter and the Young Adult Ministry email list also are used to announce events.
If you would like to lead a group for any event, please contact Franz Kuo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leaders serve as the point of contact for participants.
Past Service Events
At left, a St. Matthew's group helped out at the Capital Area Food Bank, preparing and boxing hundreds of food packets and helping to sort food donations.
We also prepared meals for patients at Christ House in Columbia Heights. Christ House provides 24-hour personal care for sick, homeless people to help break the cycle of homelessness.
A group from St. Matthew's has prepared food at another local charitable organization, the soup kitchen at DC Central Kitchen.
At right is a Single Servings of Service group at Martha's Table.
Upcoming Service Events
- July 25 from 6:45 to 8 - Please join us for prayer and discussion of the work of the entire Social Justice Committee. We meet in the East Conference room of the Cathedral. Email Dan Horning or Daniel Zazueta with any questions.
- July 30/31 after all Masses - help distribute list of items for the Back to School Drive. Contact Norma for more information
- August 5 from 5:30 to 7pm - Dinner with L'Arche. Contact Franz for more information
- August 6 from 9:30am to 1pm - Help inventory Lincoln Park with Casey Trees caring for DC's tree canopy. Contact Franz for more information
- August 6/7 after all Masses - help collect donations for the Back to School Drive. Contact Norma for more information
Annual Service Events
A regular fixture of this service program is the bi-annual (Fall Feast of Treats and Spring Celebration) potluck dinners for St. Matthew’s homeless friends. Volunteers help to set up, serve the meal, provide hospitality to our guests, and clean up afterwards; make or purchase food for the dinner; and/or give a donation towards food and supplies. Watch for these events in the parish bulletin or contact Nancy Lutz at email@example.com.
The Adopt-a-Family program has single service opportunities for Back to School, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
For more information, contact Norma Canedo at firstname.lastname@example.org.