To encourage a deeper awareness of our duties to God’s creation and to take action at the individual, state, national and global level with a focus on prayer, ecological conversion, energy efficiency, conservation, and advocacy efforts.
From Pope Francis
"Dear friends, time is running out! Deliberations must go beyond mere exploration of what can be done, and concentrate on what needs to be done, starting today. We do not have the luxury of waiting for others to step forward, or of prioritizing short-term economic benefits. The climate crisis requires 'our decisive action, here and now' (Laudato Si’, 161) and the Church is fully committed to playing her part."
Monthly Green Team Meetings on Zoom
- Join us monthly to discuss projects and help plan activities that promote the Laudato Si' mission within our parish and beyond. Email the Co-chairs, Phil Downey and Simone Seym, for more information.
- Join us, virtually once a month, 6-7pm every third Thursday. In 2023, we meet on: January 19, February 16, March 16, April 20, May 18, June 15, July 20, August 17, September 21, October 19, November 16, and December 21.
- The link for the recurring meeting is as follows: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86181574570; Meeting ID: 861 8157 4570; call in: 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Archdiocese of Washington - Laudato Si' Action Plan
On the 5th anniversary of Laudato Si’ Cardinal Gregory announced the release of the Archdiocese of Washington (ADW) Laudato Si' Action Plan, which will provide guidance to parishes and the faithful to live out the tenets of Laudato Si'. (above, Catholic Standard photo / Mihoko Owada) The Holy See’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development document on Laudato Si' serves as the outline for the ADW Laudato Si’ Action Plan. Visit the ADW website to learn more.
Buy Clean Renewable Power
The Creation Care Team invites you to “go green” by purchasing your electricity from renewable sources. Check out the options for residents of DC, MD or No.VA, summarized in Buy Clean Renewable Power.
Support Environmental Legislation in Maryland
Please join Catholics around Maryland in urging our State legislators to pass key environmental bills that respond to Pope Francis’ call to care for creation and for the most vulnerable among us. The highest priority bills that need your support are the Climate Solutions Now Act, the Transit Safety and Investment Act, the Zero-Emission Bus Transition Act, the Coal Community Transition Act, and the Maryland Environmental Constitutional Amendment. You can find out more about these bills at this link.
- Join our parish Care for Creation Green Team, email the coordinators: Phil Downey and Simone Seym.
- Sign the Catholic Climate Declaration (St. Matthew's Parish has!)
- Support Pope Francis' efforts: Stand with Pope Francis: Sign our Holy Father’s message for a just response on COVID and the Climate Emergency!
- Join the Global Catholic Climate Movement which is directly connected to the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development.
- Laudato Si’ Study Series I: Caring for our Common Home
- Laudato Si’ Study Series II: Being Prophetic People
- Earth Day 2020 - 50th Anniversary: Movie Screening & Discussion of “FLINT - The Poisoning of an American City"
- Laudato Si’ Week May 16 - 24, 2020
- Movie Screening & Discussion - Pope Francis: A Man of His Word
- Season of Creation: September 1 - October 4, 2020
- Laudato Si’ Prayer Service
- Simone Seym describes her passion for Creation Care Ministry in the Social Justice Blog
- Lifting creation care to the top in Washington, D.C.
- Fratelli Tutti I: Fraternity, Geschwisterlichkeit, and Social Friendship
Check out the video of our 2021 Earth Day Green Team Clean-up on Facebook.
Members and Friends of the Creation Care GREEN Team at the 2021 AWS Earth Day Clean-up